Sunday, May 24, 2015

Personal Pick: The Husband's Secret #bookaday 5/24

I have stacks of books to read.  Picture books, chapter books, YA books, professional books, parenting books.  Reading a book purely for the story and not for what I can bring to my classroom or what will help me be a better teacher or mom feels a little indulgent.  My reading time is limited and I mostly try to use it for professional purposes.  

Yet...I am a reader, a person who loves to lose myself in a story.  Yesterday I found myself doing just that.  Several weeks ago, I saw Liane Moriarty's The Husband's Secret while shopping at Target.  Liane Moriarty wrote one of my all-time favorite books, What Alice Forgot, and her books are written in a way that strike an emotional chord.  I picked up The Husband's Secret, knowing it sounded like a great story and hoping I would find time this summer to read it. 

Last night, there was time.  There was laundry to do, papers to check, toys to straighten, and stacks of children's books and professional books to read.  But it was a holiday weekend and I just felt like losing myself in a story.  Between last night and this morning, I read and loved The Husband's Secret and it is a story that will stay with me. 

It's a modern day Pandora's Box situation.  Cecilia finds a letter addressed to her, to be opened upon her husband's death.  Except he is very much alive and they are in the middle of their busy lives together.  The letter is connected to two other stories being told in the book and has ramifications for everyone involved.  

Moriarty writes, "None of us ever know all the possible courses our lives could have and maybe should have taken.  It's probably just as well..."

If you are looking for a beach read or a story that will draw you in and stay with you after the last page is read, I highly recommend The Husband's Secret.  I also recommend her earlier book, What Alice Forgot, which touched my heart too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment