Saturday, August 1, 2015

Notebook Connections #bookaday August 1

Honest Confession: When I came to third grade last year after a decade of being a kindergarten teacher, I had no idea what students were supposed to put in their Reader's Notebook.  Oh, how I wish I knew about Aimee Buckner's brilliant book, Notebook Connections: Strategies for the Reader's Notebook.  Friends, this is the book to read if you are confused about writing about reading and how students keep track of their independent books.  Aimee's style is like the teacher in the classroom next door and she makes her thinking and strategies crystal clear, bridging the gap I often find from professional texts to actual classroom practice.  She is a classroom teacher, which is so refreshing, since most professional books are from teachers who became coaches or consultants. There are so many ideas for me to try right away with my third grade readers.  Aimee Buckner also has a book about writer's notebooks, Notebook-Know-How, which is on my list to read this summer! I highly recommend Notebook Connections to all my friends who have been studying writing about reading (#WabtR) this summer. 

3 comments:

  1. I have her non fiction book but not this one! Thank you so much for the push to look into this one too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. katie @iCoachELA_SEMAugust 3, 2015 at 7:02 AM

    Thanks for recommending this book! I will buy it. I can't wait to see it in action in your classroom this year! #awesome

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just ordered from Amazon... thank you!

    ReplyDelete